CAREER IN Floristry
Course duration: 3 Weeks
Course level: Beginner with foundation floristry understanding
Course size: 10 students
Course Venue: Philippa Craddock Flower School, London, SW6 2AG
During this course, with expert guidance from our Philippa Craddock florists and a focus on sustainability and our down to earth approach to floristry, you will learn and master all the skills and techniques required to begin a career in floristry. At the end of the course every student will have gained a rich and in-depth set of new skills and excitingly be in a new position to move forward in a wholly positive and confident way.
We have a wealth of tried and tested, knowledge and expertise to share with you and each day will include plenty of hands on, flower filled sessions where we will immerse ourselves in beautiful flowers, foliages, textures and scents. We will take a trip to our renowned London Covent Garden Flower Market to explore the array of beautiful blooms, plants and foliages in season and see the sundry and prop displays. Plus plenty of educational theory and discussions on all the important elements within the floristry industry that we feel important and beneficial to be taught and understood when embarking on a career on floristry.
Floral industries we will cover:
- Retail - Wedding - Events - Funerals - Corporate - Lifestyle
Floral designs we will cover during the course:
- Mastering the various types and styles of hand tied bouquets
- Vase arrangements
- Table centrepieces and table arrangements
- Table design and styling
- Bridal designs
- Professional floral wiring
- Wedding and event table centrepieces
- Urns and pedestals
- Funeral designs
- Mantlepieces and garlands
- Planted arrangements
- A larger floral design, such as a floral arch or staircase
Topics we will explore include, but are not limited to:
- In-depth flower care and conditioning
- Flower seasonality, sourcing and availability
- Plants and plant care
- Flower buying and ordering and buying
- Designing and styling
- Design composition and construction; floral selection and placement
- Gift wrapping and presentation
- Sundry/tool and container/prop/vessel sourcing
- Sustainability and foam-free mechanics and techniques
- General project planning; budgets, costings, logistics
- Introduction to florist accountancy
- Client and customer relations and customer service
- Sales, marketing and PR
Full course booking terms and conditions can be viewed here.
This course is held at our creative working flower studio in Fulham, London, in a dedicated, light-flooded, creative space - the perfect environment for an inspiring, creative week.
Philippa Craddock, Unit 3c, Imperial Studios, 3/11 Imperial Road, London, SW6 2AG
We supply all the ingredients, tools, a protective apron and expertise required to complete the course and create the designs.
The nearest train stations are: Imperial Wharf (overground trains) and Fulham Broadway (underground trains), both approximately 10 minute walks from our studio.
There is an app called ‘citymapper’ which is an excellent navigation tool if you are not familiar with the city, it will guide you through the best and quickest routes to your destination.
There is a selection of cafes, restaurants and eateries a short walk from our studio, in the surrounding area.
We would suggest exploring booking.com, do take into consideration how far you would like to travel each day. We do not have a recommended list of hotels but a couple of suggestions nearby would be a Double Tree Hilton (approximately 5-10 minute walk). The Chelsea Harbour Hotel (approximately 15 minute walk). If you would like to explore London during your time across the workshop, we would recommend staying somewhere in Kensington or Chelsea, they are both beautiful areas and a little more central, however they are further from the studio, approximately 30/40 minute walk and may be more suitable for public transport. Sloane Square is about a half an hour bus/15 minute taxi ride from the studio and it is a great area too.
Our Career in Floristry course is designed for those already with a foundation understanding of floristry now looking to begin or refine their floristry career and/or their own flower business. It is perfect for those looking for a change in career (perhaps previously enjoying floristry as a hobby), someone with a weekend floristry job (and now looking to broaden their experience), those who have been working in a flower shop (and keen to develop their floristry understanding, specially to include wedding and event work), and for those who have been running their own business for a year or two and keen to look at perfecting and refining everything they currently do.
- Group welcome and today's brief
- Hands-on theory session: today’s conditioning, flower varieties and flower care
- Group theory session: wedding flowers availability and sourcing, followed by introduction to basic flower ordering, buying and budgets for weddings
- Hands-on theory, demonstration and construction of wedding table designs
- Continuation of wedding table design constructions, exploring and practicing various designs
- Q&A's for the day
A one week advanced course designed for experienced florists with a good understanding and appropriate experience in floristry.
Suitable for freelance florists, those working in a flower shop and those running their own businesses and keen to offer their clients larger event designs and sustainable designs. The course is perfect if you are looking to learn or expand knowledge in the floral event industry or advance your skills to include the ability of creating larger designs or perhaps wishing to further enhance your floral event skills and knowledge by perfecting and refining current skills using more sustainable methods.